DIY Play Dough!
DIY Play Dough
2 cups water
1/2 c. salt
2 tbsp. cream of tartar
2 tbsp. vegetable oil
2 cups flour
Essential oils (if desired)
Homemade play dough was something I heard about from other moms, but totally thought I’d never make myself. C’mon… “real” play dough comes in those cute little containers! But I really wanted to try to make glitter play dough, and, hey, I had all these awesome food coloring options from egg dying! So it was time to try it out.
Turns out, it really IS easy! It takes a bit of stirring, but the texture is just perfect!
1. Mix all the dry ingredients in a heavy pan on the stove. Pour in the water and cook on low.
2. Then stir. That’s really it. It will get smoother and thicker as it cooks. Keep scraping the edges in and folding the bottom up. Once it globs together (like the texture of play dough), it’s ready.
Note: It seems weird to be cooking without tasting. I wrote that down, and then immediately tasted it. Don’t do it! Because: Whoa, salt!
3. Put the dough on a cutting board that can handle a little food coloring. Roll it out and cut into as many balls as colors of dough you’re planning on making.
4. Squeeze a fair amount of food coloring on your first dough ball. Fold the ball over and over again, working the colors in. Add more color if needed. And if you’d like it to smell nice, add a drop of essential oil to it!
5. Repeat until all your dough balls are colored up! I tried glitter, but it took A LOT of glitter to show up, so I nixed it.
6. Store in plastic baggies or containers. It’s been weeks and the texture is still so great on this dough! I love it! Total convert here.